FAQs for Prospective Students

What accreditations do our programs have?

George Mason University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Bachelor of Science in Health Administration is certified by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). The Health Systems Management, MHA program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) and the Master of Science in Health Informatics program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Learn more about our accreditations.

How long does it take to complete the program?


The Bachelor of Science in Health Administration requires 120 credits and is typically completed in four years. Students may complete the program in less than four years if they are enrolled full-time and complete summer courses in addition to completing courses during the spring and fall semesters.


The department’s graduate degree programs can be completed on a part-time or full-time schedule, and most programs can be completed in 2-3.5 years. An accelerated pathway is available for students interested in full-time enrollment. For the exact number of credits required for your program, consult the University Catalog

Graduate students have six years to complete their master’s program. Graduate students who do not enroll in courses for two or more consecutive semesters may need to re-enroll in their program upon their return. For questions about re-enrollment, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Can I transfer credits from another university?


Undergraduate students may be able to transfer credits previously earned at another accredited college or university. Students should use George Mason’s transfer credit search engine to determine if credits are transferrable. Additional assistance is available from the Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions.


Graduate students may transfer up to 12 semester hours from another accredited college or university to a master’s program within the department. Transfer credit policies are available on the George Mason Admissions website.

Once admitted to George Mason, students must obtain approval to take graduate courses at another accredited institution for transfer to their master’s program. George Mason students may take up to six semester hours at area universities through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area. This provides students with the opportunity to take classes not available at George Mason while paying George Mason’s tuition rates.

When are classes offered?


The department’s undergraduate courses are offered at the Fairfax Campus weekday mornings, afternoons, and evenings. All courses in the undergraduate program are also offered online.


The department’s on-campus graduate courses are typically offered weekday afternoons and evenings and occasionally on Saturdays. Some classes are offered online. Most of the courses are offered at the Fairfax Campus; however, some policy-centric courses are offered at the Arlington Campus. Additionally, some courses have a hybrid format, meaning they meet in person every other week and students participate in online learning activities during the weeks they do not meet in person.

Fully online options are available for the Master of Health Administration and Master of Science in Health Informatics.

Where can I find course descriptions?

All department course descriptions are included in the University Catalog.

Course descriptions and syllabi for the MS in health informatics are also available through the MS in health informatics program page.

What are Mason’s tuition rates?

George Mason’s current tuition rates for undergraduate and graduate programs are available on the Student Accounts’ web page.

What tuition assistance is available?

George Mason’s Office of Student Financial Aid provides information on available scholarships and aid packages.

Graduate students are eligible for Graduate Research Assistantships. When faculty have funded research and need research assistants, the positions are advertised to students within the department.

How do I receive additional information?


Prospective students can visit the Admissions web page to request additional information or they can email hap@gmu.edu.


Graduate students email hap@gmu.edu to request information about specific graduate programs and/or register for information sessions to receive periodic updates about information sessions and special graduate admissions events.

How do I apply?

Admissions applications for undergraduate, graduate, and international students are handled through Mason's online application system

Prospective students must apply here for the fully online MHA program or apply here for the fully online MS in health informatics program

Can I complete the bachelors in health administration degree online?

Yes, this program can be completed fully online by new students (freshmen) or transfer students.

Can I complete my degree partially online?

Yes, traditional students may choose both in-person and online formats to complete their courses.

I started at Mason as a traditional student. Can I change to fully online?

Yes, please contact your academic advisor to officially change your program to fully online.

Do I need to designate as a fully online student in order to take online classes?

No, traditional students can still register for online classes. However, priority registration will be granted to online pathway students.

Is there an accelerated bachelors to masters program for health administration?

Yes, this option is available to current health administration majors. Students should speak to their academic advisors about the requirements. ​Students can apply for free when they have completed between 60 and 100 credits. ​For additional information see the accelerated master’s info page.